What We Do
The Data Management and Analytics Competency Center (DataCC) is part of UIT and serves as the central hub for the University of Utah's Data Management and Analytics Center of Excellence (DataCOE), providing decision-makers and staff with high quality data, tools, services, and expertise.
- Data: The DataCC builds and maintains the U of U enterprise data warehouse environments that include data from enterprise systems like PeopleSoft and SAP. This includes data marts from HR, Finance, Admissions, Student, and Canvas data. We are continuously adding new sources of data as well.
- Tools: Information producers in the DataCC use a variety of DM&A tools.
- SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (Webi) – Webi is our primary tool for populating the standard reports library. Webi is effective for creating reports that contain lists and tables.
- Tableau – Tableau is our go-to software for data visualization and dashboard creation. Tableau is best suited to visualize aggregated data through graphs and charts, not tables and lists.
- Services: To see a list of the services we offer, visit our Service Catalog.
- Expertise: The DataCC is working hard with the campus DM&A Community to advance the state of DM&A at the University of Utah. We are defining and implementing strategy through governance groups.
Who Does What
To understand who does what and get a full picture of the DataCOE, visit our DM&A Community page.
Where We Are Heading
The DataCC is working with the DM&A community to create a future state for DM&A at the University of Utah where our information producers work together as a community to make information delivery to our decision-makers and staff seamless, empowered by a full set of DM&A tools and a single source of truth.
Our medium-term goals (1-3 years):
- Data modeling, source of information clarification, business glossary, and metadata tool establishment
- Expansion of centralized resources to support specialized services with a single location for all DM&A requests
- Full roll-out of the Operational Data Store (ODS) and Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW)
- Translation of data governance policies into system-based controls to reduce manipulation of data
- Expansion of OBIA executive level reporting
- Develop self-service portal to access available DM&A resources and self-service reports
- Review of data governance, stewardship policies, and business processes to improve security and reduce the manipulation of data
Our long-term goals (3-6 years):
- A trusted single source of truth for end reporting
- All areas participating in DM&A Community with resources allocated in specialized roles
- Offering of all DM&A defined services